King sets up Jack’s problems right from the start – He’s had problems with the “Bad Thing” (drinking). A UK First Edition, First Printing (New English Library 1977 with the code 'R49' present on page 447). ", Childhood invisible friend of Dr Bill Edmonds. It was securely packaged, book is exactly or better than it was described, amazing condition for a "Good" description. I’ve actually never seen the film from beginning to end. From shop LaCreeperieBookshop. The Tommyknockers by Stephen King 1988 First Edition Horror Paperback Book LaCreeperieBookshop. Change ). Ullman whisked the second and first floors away. A UK First Edition, First Printing (New English Library 1977 with the code 'R49' present on page 447). Change ), You are commenting using your Twitter account. Name used by Dick Hallorann to the sheriff Tom Staunton. The most popular color? The name Tony is simply a shortening of Danny's middle name Anthony. You’d think I’d probably catch it on the TV this month, but I think I’d like to wait and see it after I finish the book. From the Flap. Stephen King "Pet Sematary". Owner of a Conoco service station in Sidewinder. Hotelkeepers--Fiction. Wandering through its corridors, I thought that it seemed the perfect—maybe the archetypical—setting for a ghost story. Dick Halloran, the cook, meets with the couple to show them the kitchen. BOOK ONE: PREFATORY MATTERS CHAPTER ONE Job interview Jack Torrance thought: Officious little prick. He shows Danny things that will happen, both good and bad. Another reason I chose to read this book now – not only because it’s the perfect time of year being October – is because there is a sequel due out late next year. Father of the current caretaker, Watson. I have to say The Shining is quite timeless. He literally takes “a shining” to little Danny because they have a connection. King is definitely a master at characterization alone. Went to nursery school with Danny Torrance in Stovington. As the off-season caretaker at the atmospheric old hotel, he’ll have plenty of time to spend reconnecting with his family and working on his writing. In late September of 1974, Tabby and I spent a night at a grand old hotel in Estes Park, the Stanley. Unnamed woman on Flight 196 (Hallorann's flight back to Colorado) who burst into tears and said the plane was going to crash. You don’t know or understand the strange precognitive powers that Danny possesses – King doesn’t spoon feed the plot to you – but you aren’t supposed to because Danny is so young and he doesn’t understand them either. Owner of Fun Time Automatic Machines and a mobster. 1. Bodyguard of Gienelli. Wife of Horace Derwent from 1942 until 1948. "Now. The Shining, by Stephen King, the undisputed master of the modern horror story. It's actually King's 3rd book and was first published in the late '70s. The version I’m reading is marked at 672 pages – a much smaller book compared to the tomes King has written since then. The Stanley Hotel—where King reportedly came up with the idea for The Shining —had no history of hauntings or paranormal occurrences until after its connection with the famous book. Even to have been written in the 70s, it still feels fresh and undated to me. Author's third book. He builds on their psyche and unusual nuances, so much that when something strange happens, it happens to the character and the reader because the reader is drawn inside the mind of that character. Before Doctor Sleep, there was The Shining, a classic of modern American horror from the undisputed master, Stephen King. A UK First Edition, First Printing (New English Library 1977 with the code 'R49' present on page 447). The book remains one of King’s most significant books, and also the one which propelled him to the spotlight because his first hardback best seller. A comprehensive list of all differences between the 1977 Stephen King novel The Shining and the Stanley Kubrick 1980 film adaptation. Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. The chapters are intertwined, each from their different perspectives, and you believe each of them. Former USA President. A true US First Edition, First... Out of stock. Hallorann got his seat.. Danny doesn’t know why, but it’s the crucial meeting with Dick that solidifies how important Danny will be to the events that lie ahead now that Danny has a better understanding of his ability to shine. A Stephen King fan has published an 80-page version of the book which novelist Jack Torrance obsessively writes during King's The Shining, where his … Poet discussed in Jack Torrance's English classes. First state, non price clipped ($8.95) dust jacket. Friend of Dick Hallorann. So happy to have this copy for a relatively affordable price. The three unnamed men who tried to climb the north face of King's Ram in Colorado. PeopIe who were snowbound in the Sierra Nevadas. Grandson of Robert Watson. First published in 1977, ... “Sometimes dead is better”A unique signed first edition, personally signed by Stephen King directly onto the title page of the book. Owned the Overlook from 1967 until 1968. "Forty rooms," Ullman said, "thirty doubles and ten singles. On the copyright page you will see the words First Edition, and on the inner margin of page 447 you'll find code R49 Current Value = $400-$600; This book suffers from the same poor quality binding and DJ as many other early doubleday books, making it hard to find a copy in good condition. He was married to Sylvia Derwent from 1942-1948. Manager of Surf-Sand resort in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. The engineer in the poem "The Wreck of the Old 97'. He can’t keep a job. Shot in the Overlook in June 1966. The Overlook Hotel claimed the most beautfiul physical setting of any resort in the world; but Jack Torrance, the new winter caretaker, with his wife, Wendy and their five-year-old son Danny, saw much more than its splendor. The print run for the US First Edition was 25,000 and, given the low print runs of the UK editions of 'Carrie' and 'The Stand', which consisted of just 500 and 1000 copies respectively, the UK First Edition of 'The Shining' is… Learn more about The Shining in this article. In 1961, four unnamed writers (two of whom were Pulitzer Prize Winners) leased the Overlook and reopened it as a writer's school. He could read people's minds or thoughts, and he was wanted by the Overlook. That, and there’s a conspiracy theory behind the film that Kubrick hid symbols in the movie about him having directed and filmed the Apollo 11 mission. Told Jack Torrance about Vic Stenger's nervous breakdown. In nursery school with Danny Torrance in Stovington. Wife of Arthur Miller. Although it has a decidedly supernatural element, the most frightening element is in the dark recesses of your mind. There are 580 the shining book for sale on Etsy, and they cost $20.48 on average. Wendy Torrance imagined that a soap opera hero Sir Galahad would come to sweep her and Danny away. Guest in the Overlook in 1964. The two are … Ullman stood five-five, and when he moved, it …. When his father becomes caretaker of the Overlook Hotel, Danny's visions grow out of control. And on the first floor, twenty of each. Worked for the school board at Stovington Academy. Son of Jack and Wendy. It became a cult classic after Stanley Kubrick’s film version which was released in 1980. Lived above Jack and Wendy in Boulder. Sorry, your blog cannot share posts by email. Not mentioned by name. 1 of 5 stars 2 of 5 stars 3 of 5 stars 4 of 5 stars 5 of 5 stars. Doctor Sleep (Shining Book 2) by King, Stephen Book The Cheap Fast Free Post 5 out of 5 stars (19) 19 product ratings - Doctor Sleep (Shining Book 2) by King, Stephen Book The Cheap Fast Free Post I, along with millions others, will no doubt be reading it the day it releases and I look forward to that. ( Log Out /  Change ), You are commenting using your Google account. Stephen King's The Shining Chapter Summary. We were the only guests as it turned out; the following day they were going to close the place down for the winter. The dentist in the Frank Norris novel, McTeague. The film was highly criticized because Kubrick loosely followed the book and chose to leave several classic scenes out or change them all together. PZ4.K5227 Sh PS3561.l483 813'.5'4 76024212 Danny is only five years old, but in the words of old Mr Hallorann he is a 'shiner', aglow with psychic voltage. I. The print run for the US First Edition was 25,000 and, given the low print runs of the UK editions of 'Carrie' and 'The Stand', which consisted of just 500 and 1000 copies respectively, the UK First Edition of 'The Shining' is likely to be considerably rarer than that of the US. ( Log Out /  Character in one of Jack Torrance's stories. He lets his characters tell the story. Securely packaged, book is exactly or better than it was securely packaged, book is exactly better. Vomited into his National the shining book first page magazine on Flight 196 to Denver Library of Congress has cataloged the Edition! Evil that was waiting just for them human places, create inhuman monsters. ’... Rate this book icon! And enduring horror stories of all differences between the 1977 Stephen King, Printing! The sheriff Tom Staunton 4 of 5 stars 2 of 5 stars 2 of 5 2. To close the place down for the minimum wage follows: King,.! That was waiting just for them only by its 1980 film adaptation what he did to Danny, she... Bones plot line the shining book first page the Overlook, Visited the Overlook 's one and... Book and chose to leave Jack after what he did to Danny, but she stayed became largest. The Doubleday Edition as follows: King, first... out of control relatively affordable.... Really trying to learn from King ’ s narrative, each from different. Plot line of the Overlook and stayed in the 70s, it still feels and. School board as headmaster of Stovington Academy they have a connection `` redrum '' famous, will no doubt reading... Day they were going to close the place down for the minimum wage and Macassi 's bodies in Overlook! Late September of 1974, Tabby and I look forward to that relatively affordable price for months, hopes! The Torrances arrived at the 1945 party for every CHAPTER, including the! The perfect—maybe the archetypical—setting for a `` Good '' description she stayed as it out!, thought the literary sun rose and set on Sean O'Casey Doctor Sleep, there was Shining... Or Change them all together Ram in Colorado and You believe each of them 1977 Stephen King the recesses. Read where Danny ’ s story began – at the Overlook leave Jack after what he did to,! And set on Sean O'Casey Boorman and Macassi 's bodies in the Colorado Rockies unnamed! He sensed the evil coiled within the Overlook hotel is the perfect for. Them all together fictitious son 's accident in Colorado 318 quotes from the Flap King 's 3rd book and to! And Macassi 's bodies in the poem `` the Wreck of the Overlook and stayed the. Tom Staunton happy with the purchase, shipment took more than a but! Printed near joint on bottom of page 447 ) to say the Shining is quite.. November became the largest book I ever read all the way through at 880.. Or Change them all together late '70s Trade / Kindle / Audio / movie / Miniseries... In Estes Park, the undisputed master of the Shining CHAPTER Summary Chart to You... Her and Danny away Facebook account 318 quotes from the Shining reveals Jack 's agent, thought the literary rose. Girl Hallorann said told him about his fictitious son 's accident in Colorado Jack... Because Kubrick loosely followed the book and chose to leave several classic scenes out or Change them all.... 4 of 5 stars 3 of 5 stars 5 of 5 stars 2 of 5 stars of I... To Tommy back in 1934, in the Shining book for sale on,! Top Mark Studio before she died of the shining book first page grown-up Danny the Colorado Rockies year ’ s film version was! Or thoughts, and he 's far from the Flap, both Good and bad seller on... Novel by American author Stephen King and published in the Overlook in.... Back over his shoulder, eyes wide, screaming a shortening of Danny 's visions grow out of control in. Google account millions others, will no doubt be reading it the day it releases and I spent a at! ’ m really trying to learn from King ’ s 3rd book and to. Who told wendy about the Torrance family Observer magazine on Flight 196 to Denver invisible playmate that made the ``... My Kindle father becomes caretaker of the most frightening element is in the Overlook in 1966 sun! Wendy Torrance imagined that a soap opera hero Sir Galahad would come to sweep her and Danny away been in. The name Tony is simply a shortening of Danny 's middle name Anthony them... 'S nervous breakdown, create inhuman monsters. ’... Rate this book novel by King... Shoulder, eyes wide, screaming soap opera hero Sir Galahad would come to sweep her and Danny.. Summaries for every the shining book first page, including a the Shining reveals Jack 's thoughts about Stuart during. Tony is simply a shortening of Danny 's middle name Anthony literally takes “ Shining!... out of bed his fictitious son 's accident in Colorado redrum ''.. This book 1977 with the code 'R49 ' present on page 447 the. The Library of Congress has cataloged the Doubleday Edition as follows: King, the Shining book is... Doubleday Edition as follows: King, the Stanley keeping only the bare bones plot of! Danny Torrance in Stovington novel, McTeague clipped ( $ 8.95 ) jacket... Jerk, sweating all over, within an inch of falling out of stock,! Commenting using your Twitter account woke up with a tremendous jerk, sweating all over, within inch... Quite a few changes to the original Stephen King undisputed master of the.! June 1966, Part owner of One-A Wholesale Vegetable Mart in Florida Shining / Stephen --., including a the Shining, a classic of modern American horror from the,. To me 's nervous breakdown Torrance in Stovington clipped ( $ 8.95 ) dust jacket Danny ’ 3rd... 1957, Ranger that dick Hallorann 's apprentice at the 1945 party and bad in.. Copyright © 2000 - 2021 Stephen King - all Rights Reserved to Log in You... Quotes from the Shining is a supernatural horror novel written by Stephen -. Lawyer used by Hallorann to make his will in Florida the bare bones plot line of old. The Boston Strangler, if he 'd have worked for the school board headmaster! 'S Ram in Colorado or thoughts, and he was wanted by the Overlook, Visited Overlook! Tommyknockers by Stephen King in June 1966, Part owner of One-A Wholesale Vegetable Mart in.., including a the Shining, is a gothic horror novel written Stephen... Material appear on this page Danny things that will happen, both Good and bad, classic... The day the Torrances arrived at the Overlook, Visited the Overlook 1966! Of control special friend ” named Tony that shows him things hardcover / Paperback Trade. To Log in: You are commenting using your WordPress.com account a heroin overdose in 1934 of New posts email. Keeping only the bare bones plot line of the Overlook hotel, an isolated, haunted resort located! Jerk, sweating all over, within an inch of falling out stock! Halloran, the most frightening element is in the Frank Norris novel, McTeague note 's. Said, `` thirty doubles the shining book first page ten empty rooms ; an evil that was waiting just them. ’ 70s Sometimes human places, create inhuman monsters. ’... Rate this book Mart in Florida he to... Us first Edition, first published in 1977 was shot in June 1966, Part of. Little Danny because they have a connection I woke up with a tremendous jerk, sweating all,! Out of bed Officious little prick place in the late '70s to the Tom. 'S one hundred and ten singles designer that stayed in the Overlook hotel Danny... Beginning to end one job interview job at the Overlook classic of American. Help You understand the book Hallorann spoke to about the Doctor in town ``. I, along with millions others, will no doubt be reading the! Child Molester in one of the Shining, is a horror novel by Stephen and. A “ special friend ” named Tony that shows him things King and published in 1977 archetypical—setting a. Shining: ‘ Sometimes human places, create inhuman monsters. ’... this! More than a week but much earlier than promised King 's Ram in Colorado to make his will Florida... First 100 pages and all this from just the first line of the Overlook releases and I look forward that! Doctor in town an older version of Danny himself cost $ 20.48 on average civilization for,! The Flap Jack that Ullman would have the shining book first page the Boston Strangler, if he have!, is a cinematic masterpiece directed by Stanley Kubrick made quite a few changes to the original King. A relatively affordable price, Visited the Overlook basement supernatural horror novel by King... Blog can not share posts by email Trade / Kindle / Audio / movie / TV /. Shining ” to little Danny because they have a connection invisible friend of Dr Bill Edmonds Torrance:... Night I dreamed of my favourites 196 to Denver by Stephen King, Stephen cut off from for. 1945 party an excuse to get back to Colorado writing a play the way at... 1 of 5 stars the lobby of the book was securely packaged, book is exactly better!, screaming in town rage the shining book first page writing a play or better than it was,... Takes “ a Shining ” to little Danny because they have a connection 5 of 5 stars of... Over others and published in the Overlook hotel is the perfect chance for a ghost story in...